Wednesday 7 November 2012

Free Ireland

"As I walked through the passageways in Kilmainham gaol, I pictured prisoners being lead through to their cells, and some being lead to their executions. The jail had housed prisoners long before the Rising in Ireland, but some of the most important people held there were prisoners from the war of independence and the civil war. We heard a lot of stories of people who had been there. The tour guide told us the story of Joseph and Grace Plunkett. They were married in Kilmainham the night before Joseph was executed. They could only be together ten minutes before he was killed. We also heard about 14 men who were executed because of their roles in the Easter Rising. Being in the place where all of these stories took place really helped me visualize the people who had been there, and gave me a clearer understanding of there stories. It was a good experience." Reflects Katie Marvel concerning her experiences in Kilmainham gaol.  

Another member of our group, Amanda Barry, wrote a poem to express her understandings and experiences there.

Locked behind these prison doors
Is where my love once was
We were married for 8 hours
When he was shot just cause

Being shot down as a soilder
Was more honorable than hanging
I will miss my Jospeh Plinket
It will be forever changing

Forgiveness is hard for me to give
Now my husband is dead
He left me a loving note
All my tears have been shed

The fight for independence
He will never see the end
They died for a good cause
Nothern Ireland still needs to mend.

Nicole Walker also reflected with me on her experience touring Kilmainham gaol.

"When we came to the East Wing in the gaol it was easy for me to visualize daily life for the prisoners.  Standing in the cells was unreal.  I spread my arms out as far as I could and my fingertips almost touched the walls.  As we took the tour and saw the places where the 14 Irish men were executed it became very solemn.
Although, when we were told to look up at the Irish flag it was evident that this part of history in Ireland is so important.  Because those men died for their country and because of the negative reaction the Irish had to the British, a new spirit of revolution was born.  When we saw the museum afterwards my favorite part was the Last Words of the men who were executed.  Reading the letter to the men’s family and friends it was easy to tell that they were honored and ready to die for their country if that meant obtaining a free Ireland."

After we visited the gaol, we visited Arbor Hill Cemetery where the fourteen men executed within the walls of Kilmainham were tossed into a mass grave. The Irish government recently constructed a memorial over mass grave's location. A large wall with the Irish constitution in both Irish and English stands behind the grave. A marble border edges the grave and is inscribed with the names of the executed.

Sam Alexander found those names particularly impacting. He also observed that the large gold cross signified that the men died not only for their country, but for their God.

I personally found the silence of the memorial interesting. It was a peaceful site. A quiet, still memorial for a time of cannon-fire and action and for the men who gave their lives for a free Ireland.












No comments:

Post a Comment